ramblingbooks

Ramblings of a Book-A-Holic

Witch & Wizard

Witch & Wizard - Gabrielle Charbonnet, James Patterson It's not as amazing as I thought it would be. Honestly, I sort of expected a little better, but it's not completely horrible either. It definitely didn't live up to "becoming the next Harry POtter'. Whoever said that had obviously never read either of these books because if they had, they would realize the series are completely different.
The main characters, Wisty and Whit Algood were, how should I put this, um not very interesting. Their situation has been seriously overplayed. How many times have you read a book were the kids aren't aware that they are some form of magical being until something bad happens? I really couldn't see how, even though their parents never told them, they never noticed they were different. I don't see how all of a sudden their powers appear. And really, it doesn't seem to take Wisty too long to figure out how to use them either. Just some parts of this book are alittle off.
The plot wasn't so bad either. It was easy to connect "the One Who is the One" with real life dictators. In some ways, it kind of reminded me of the Holocaust. (Hope that doesn't offend anyone) If you think about it, the One who is the One was trying to build a society in his own perfect image, and was willing to do whatever he had to to see it through. Children & others accused of witchery were being taken away from their homes, and sent to concentration camp like places. They were horribly mistreated and eventually, vaporized.
I believe that they tried too hard to make it as big as HP and therefore, it kind of self-destructed. However, it's not the worst book in the world, but if someone I knew where to read it, I'd tell them not to get their hopes up. But that's only my opinion, others may love it.